Hesychius Milesius (5th century BC).
Ἡσυχίου Μιλησίου Ἰλλουστρίου Περὶ τῶν ἐν παιδείᾳ διαλαμψάντων σοφῶν. Ex Bibliotheca Ioannis Sambuci Pannonij Tirnaviensis... (follows:) Idem. Hesychii Milesii, illustri cognomento, de his qui eruditionis fama claruere, Liber: Hadriano Iunio Medico interprete. Antwerp, Christophe Plantin, 1572.
Two parts in one volume, 8° (165x97 mm). Collation: A-Γ8; A-E8. 48; 78,  pages. Complete with fol. E8 blank. Roman, italic, and Greek type. Text in Greek and Latin. Woodcut Plantin device on
both title-pages. Woodcut decorated and animated initials, six-line initials on fols. A2r and A4r of the first part. Nineteenth-century quarter-leather, marbled covers. Spine with five small raised bands emphasized with gilt fillet and decorated with small floral tools, title in gilt on red leather lettering-piece. Red edges. Joints slightly rubbed. An excellent copy. On the recto of the front flyleaf a nineteenth-century hand-written note on the illustrious owners of the present copy, taken from the Allgemeines Gelehrten-Lexikon by C. G. Jöcher, 'Nr. 2599. Wilhelm Xylander (Holzmann). Prof. der Griechischen Sprache in Heidelberg. S. Jöcher. Nr. 2600. Friedrich Sylburg akademischer Gelehrter in Heidelberg. S. Jöcher'.
Provenance: Guilielmus Xylander (1532-1576; ownership inscription 'Xylandri' on the first title-page; his autograph marginalia); Friedrich Sylburg (1536-1596; his autograph marginalia); gifted by him to Johann Faber (fl. sixteenth century; the inscription 'D. Io. Fabro collegae suaviss. d.f. Fr. Sylburg' on the first title-page); Johann Daniel Wildius (1585-1635; ownership inscription 'Joh. Dan. Wildii' on the first title-page).
A highly remarkable copy of the first edition of this Greek biographical dictionary of learned men which passed through the hands of two outstanding sixteenth-century German Hellenists: Guilielmus Xylander and Friedrich Sylburg.
The work was composed by Hesychis of Miletus, a chronicler who flourished at Constantinople during the reign of Justinian, and arranged by classes. The text was edited and translated into Latin by the Dutch physician and philologist Hadrianus Junius (1511-1575), who based his editorial work on a codex supplied by the Hungarian humanist Johannes Sambucus (1531-1581), owner of a precious collection of Greek manuscripts. This copy contains the texts in both languages. “Presented as a separate publication, but forming, in fact [...] one edition, the two volumes being sold together” (Voet III, p. 1114).
The provenance of the present copy is extremely interesting. The first owner was Guilielmus Xylander, professor of Greek at Heidelberg University and editor of numerous Greek classics, including works by Stephanus of Byzantium and Pausanias, among others. He translated the Arithmetica of Diophantus and the De quattuor mathematicis scientiis of Michael Psellus into Latin and was also responsible for the German translation of Euclid's first six books.
Thereafter the copy came into the possession of Friedrich Sylburg, who was already active in Frankfurt as a corrector and editor of Greek books at the printing house of Andreas Wechel, and publishing editions of Herodotus, Dionysius Halicarnaseus, Aristotle, and other Graeci scriptores. In 1591 he moved to Heidelberg, where he worked with the printer Hieronymus Commelinus and became a librarian at the celebrated Bibliotheca Palatina assembled by the Palatin Elector. The volume was later given by Sylburg to Johann Faber, whose name is recorded in 1556-1557 among the students at Heidelberg University. The last known owner of the Plantin Hesychius was Johann Daniel Wildius (1585-1635), who lectured in theology at Landesschule, Hanau.
Adams H-512; STC Dutch 94; Voet, III, 1323-1324; Labore et constantia, 220-221; Voet, The Golden Compasses, II, p. 459; Hoffmann, II, p. 264; P. Gulyás, Die Bibliothek Sambucus. Katalog 1587, Szeged 1992, 2106; Philobiblon, One Thousand Years of Bibliophily, no. 147.